What Riding Toys are Dangerous on or Near Driveways? Answer: All of Them
During the summer time and other parts of the year in Florida, it is common to see children especially toddlers on bicycles and riding toys on or near driveways. A good question is the following:What Riding Toys are Dangerous on or Near Driveways?
The answer to this question may surprise you. The answer is all of the riding toys are dangerous. This is because there are risks of personal injuries to any child on a riding toy or bicycle on or near the driveway. Let's say an example to discuss. A 4 year old child is riding his three wheel cycle on the drivveway. Like many such toys, this three wheeler is low to the ground and below the vision of most drivers. While there are backup cameras in many newer model vehicles, a child riding a low three wheeler can often times be missed by a driver who is backing out of of driveway or driving into a driveway. Also, children lack good safety judgment. A 4 year old who is not being supervised can easily ride right into the street and into traffic. This can, in turn, lead to serious personal injuries to the child. Here are some safety tips to keep in mind:
- Drive slowly in all residential areas and all other areas where she are playing;
- If children are present, it is probably a good idea to drive below the posted speed limit;
- Riding toys that are low to the ground can be equipped with a flag to make the riding toy and the child on riding toy more visible;
- Supervise children at all times while a child is playing outside;
- Make sure that all children - no matter the age or size of the riding toy or bicycle - wear a helmet; and
- Teach and enforce safety precautions for children.
When a child is injured due to the negligence orr careless driving of a driver, there may be a cause of action or claim to pursue. These cases can be quite complicated. As such, it makes sense to consult with a Florida Child Injury Lawyer for advice, guidance, and legal representation.
The book titled - When the Wheels Stop Spinning - Legaly Rights of the Injured Child - What Parents Should Know After the Accident - has chapters on Bicycle Accidents, Pedestrian Accidents, Wrongful Death, and other topics. You can get this book for free at When the Wheels Stop Spinning.