Uninsured Motorist Automobile Insurance Coverage in Florida

Many drivers on the road believe that they have “full coverage” if they are in an automobile accident in Jacksonville Florida. In reality, the concept of “full coverage” is misleading. In Florida, a car owner must have property damage and Personal Injury Protection otherwise known as PIP.


Property damage will pay for the other driver’s property damage if you are at fault. PIP typically covers 80 % of your accident related medical bills up to $10,000. All other types of coverages including Uninsured Motorist or Underinsured Motorists is optional. If you are hit by an uninsured driver, there is no insurance in place for your pain and suffering or loss of enjoyment of life if you do not have Uninsured Motorist or Underinsured Motorist coverage. You cannot purchase UM coverage the day after an accident and have it apply to the accident related injuries. As such, I highly recommend that each person (who can afford it) have UM coverage in place. There are too many uninsured drivers out there on the roads. If you have a question about your policy or UM coverage, it is helpful to contact a Jacksonville Florida personal injury attorney. I have handled hundreds of automobile accident claims and I am quite familiar with the insurance process and the difference between adequate and inadequate coverage. Contact me if you have any questions about insurance coverage and any other aspect of an automobile accident matter.