In Okaloosa County, Florida the required restraint by a dog owner depends upon the type of property the dog is located on. While the dog is on its owner’s or custodian’s property, the owner or custodian shall exercise diligence and reasonable care to prevent the dog from leaving his or her property.
In urban areas of the county, restraint exists when the dog is:
1. Enclosed within a fence, house, building, pen or other enclosure where the dog cannot escape. These enclosures must be securely fastened if the dog is left unattended.
2. On a leash by a competent person.
3. Off a leash but under voice control and obedient to the controlling person’s commands and the controlling person is present with the dog at all time.
In agricultural or low-density areas of the county, restraint exists when the dog is:
1. Within the real property limits of the owner or custodian.
2. Under the control of a responsible person and obedient to the controlling person’s commands to the extent that the dog will not trespass upon or disturb the property of another.
If a dog is off the premises of its owner or custodian the owner or custodian must exercise diligence and reasonable care to keep his or her dog under restrain. The only acceptable methods of restraint are:
1. Inside a vehicle, parked or in motion.
2. Confined within a enclosure with permission of the occupant of the property where the dog is temporarily located.
3. On a leash held by a competent person.
4. Under the control of a responsible person and the controlling person’s commands prevent trespass.
5. In a secured or fastened cage with adequate ventilation and space for the dog.
Note: It is unlawful to chain, tie, leash or otherwise tether a dog to a house, tree or other stationary object as a means of confinement to property.
If you would like to read more of the Dog Provisions in Okaloosa County, Florida see Code of Ordinances of Okaloosa County, Florida.
Okaloosa County, Florida is located in Northwest Florida and includes the following cities: Baker, Cinco Bayou, Crestview, Destin, Fort Walton Beach, Laurel Hill, Mary Esther, Niceville, Shalimar, and Valparaiso.