In Holmes County, Florida dog owners or other persons responsible for a dog have a duty to exercise proper due care and control of their dog(s) in order to prevent their dog(s) from becoming a public nuisance.
Public nuisance is defined as any dog which:
1. Disturbs and/or harasses person(s) or passing vehicles on public property or on the property of a person other than its owner ofr person responsible of the offending dog(s).
2. Attacks other animals on public property or on the property of another person who is not the owner or person responsible for the offending dog(s).
3. Damages public property or private property that does not belong to its owner or other responsible person
4. Excessively and continuously barks, whines, howls or makes other noises.
5. Creates noxious and offensive odors that can be detected on public property or private property of another person who is not the owner or other responsible person of the offending dog(s).
If dog owners do not comply with this ordinance in Holmes County, Florida they run the risk of having their dog(s) seized, and, in some instances, humanely disposed of. If you would like to read more on the Dog Provisions or provisions of other animals in Holmes County, Florida, please see Holmes County Ordinance No. 10-02.
Holmes County is located in Florida’s panhandle and includes the following cities:
Bonifay, Esto, Noma, Ponce De Leon, and Westville.