I Need a Lawyer to Represent My Child’s Educational Needs Before a School Board: What Kind of Lawyer / Attorney Should I Hire?


I am often asked the question, “I need a Lawyer to represent my child’s educational needs before a School or School Board. What kind of Lawyer / Attorney do I need?” This is an excellent question. Frankly, Florida Personal Injury Lawyers are easy to find. Watch television or look in the yellow pages. Special Education lawyers / attorneys are not so easy to find. It is helpful to find a Special Education Lawyer in your geographical area. In North Florida, you would look for an attorney in Jacksonville, Orange Park, Jacksonville Beach, St. Augustine, Green Cove Springs, and the surrounding areas. Getting a school and / or school board to educate your child and provide the services required by law can be quite challenging. If necessary, the Special Education Lawyer can request an administrative hearing and get an order to require the school to comply with the applicable federal and state laws regarding your child’s educational needs.

Every school district has the legal duty to comply with IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act). Children that may qualify for special education under this federal law include children with mental retardation, hearing impairment (which includes deafness), visual impairment (which includes blindness), serious emotional disturbance, autism, traumatic brain injury (TBI), special learning disability, or other health impairment.

If you need a Special Education lawyer, contact Wood, Atter & Wolf, P.A., a laws firm “On Your Side – At Your Side.”

Contact Information