Every day Florida children become victims of dog bites resulting in personal injuries. Some involve minor medical care and some recovery extensive medical care with surgery and extended hospitalizations. Some basic tips for the immediate treatment of a dog bite include the following:
1. Stay Safe. Separate the child and the dog. Keep the dog and child at a safe distance so that treatment can be initiated.
2. Control any bleeding by following the appropriate steps.
3. Cover the wound with a clean, dry dressing.
4. Watch for signs of infection:
*Redness *Swelling *Heat *Weeping pus
5. Contact a physician or go the emergency room.
You can read more about the above tips at How to Treat Dog Bite Injuries.
6. Make sure that the dog is under control.
7. Obtain the vaccination records for the dog if possible.
You can read more details about How to Treat Dog Bites.