A 2-year-old was airlifted in DeLand, Florida after the child was struck by a vehicle. According to City of DeLand, Florida police Sergeant John Anderson, the toddler was apparently sleeping and left inside a vehicle while the child’s mother went to a store across the street. The child woke up and attempted to follow the mother across the street. As the child was crossing the street, the toddler was clipped by the mirror of a passing car. If you would like to read more on this incident please see Toddler airlifted after being hit by a car.
This is just one of many reasons why a child should never be left alone inside a vehicle. This child could have suffered from a heat stroke (otherwise known as hyperthermia) or been kidnapped. Either way, leaving a child unattended in a vehicle is dangerous. Children are very susceptible to changing temperatures within a car and they do not appreciate the dangers of their surroundings. Regardless of how “quick” the stop may be, never leave your child inside a vehicle, even if he or she is sleeping.
To read more on the dangers of leaving children unattended inside a vehicle please read Leave a Child Alone in a Car Can Lead to Serious Personal Injuries, Death, and Prison Time in Florida.