Dangers of Fireworks in Backyard – Girl Injured in Dania Beach, Florida


According to officials in Dania Beach, Florida, an eight-year-old girl was taken to the hospital for firework-related injuries. She was watching fireworks in a backyard, and when the fireworks went off she was struck in the back of her head by a piece of concrete. Authorities said that someone had tried to use a cinder block to stabilize the firework. The child was taken to Memorial Regional Hospital for treatment and is expected to recover.

During the month of July, typically around Independence Day, children are more likely to become victims of firework-related injuries. Injuries from fireworks are most likely to affect the hands, eyes, and the head, face, and ear; children 14-years or younger are the most prone to these types of injuries. Firecrackers, sparklers, and rockets accounted for most of the injuries reported in the emergency departments, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The best way to protect your family from firework-related injuries is to not set off fireworks at home in the first place. Attend public displays and leave the lighting to experienced professionals. However, if you do choose to set off fireworks at home, here are a few safety tips to keep in mind:

• Children should not play with fireworks, but if you give kids sparklers, make sure they keep them outside and away from the face, clothing and hair.
• Never attempt to make your own fireworks.
• Light one firework at a time and never re light a dud.
• Always light fireworks outside and have a bucket and a hose close by in case of an emergency.
• Soak all fireworks in a bucket before disposing of them in a trash bin.

For more information on this topic, see Girl Injured in Fireworks-Related Accident