A six year old child suffered 2nd degree burns in a fire that broke out in a Deltona, Florida duplex on Tuesday morning. The Fire Department stated that the fire engulfed the entire duplelx. Seven people were rescued from the burning house, however the six year old boy suffered severe burns to his back, shoulder, head, and ears. The boy was airlifted to Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children in Orlando.
According to the National Fire Protection Agency, home fires caused about 85% of all fire related deaths in 2010. Education is key to preventing fire related deaths. Have your family practice fire evacuation from your home. Teach your children about basic fire safety. Discuss with your children what to do if they smell smoke. Check your batteries in all smoke detectors and change batteries twice a year. Make sure all family members know how the smoke detector alarm sounds. Make sure your home has a working fire extinguisher. For more information see, 6 Year Old Suffers Personal Injuries in Duplex Fire in Deltona Florida.