Can a Claim Still Be Pursued on Behalf of an Injured Child Even if There is No Fire Rescue Evaluation or Emergency Room Visit?


Children are the unfortunate victims of automobile accidents, bicycle accidents, and pedestrian accidents. In some instances, the child is immediately treated by paramedics and / or evaluated at a hospital emergency room. In other instances, there may be a day or more delay in seeking medical attention for injuries caused by the accident. As a Personal Injury Attorney, I am often asked the following question:

If there is a delay in medical treatment following an accident causing injuries, can a case or claim still be pursued on behalf of the injured child?

The simple answer this question is “Yes.” The case can still be pursued on behalf of the injured child even if care is not provided at the accident scene and / or at the emergency room. While it makes sense from both a medical and legal standpoint to obtain timely medical treatment, there is no Florida requirement in place that a child immediately be seen by a doctor, clinic, paramedic, or emergency room in order to be able to pursue a case or claim for compensation for medical bills, pain, suffering and other related damages associated with the automobile accident. In January 2013, there will be a new law in effect that will change the way in which PIP works and the amount of coverage that will be provided through PIP coverage.

Because of the complexities of Florida claims, laws, and negotiations involving injury cases, a parent or guardians should contact a Florida Child Injury Lawyer for advice, consultation, and legal representation. Another good resource of parents and guardians is the book titled – The ABCs of Child Injury – Legal Rights of the Injured Child – What Every Parent Should Know. The book has chapters on Automobile Accidents, Medical Bills / Treatment, and other topics. You can get this book for free at The ABCs of Child Injury. The book was written by attorney David Wolf who firmly believes in Giving a Voice to Injured Children and Their Families.

Contact Information