Four Year Old (Landon Greene) Dies as a Result of Furniture Accident in Crawfordville, Florida

wooden%20dresser%20handle.jpg

A 4-year-old boy of Crawfordville, Florida, tragically died on January 15 after a large, wooden pice of furniture fell on top of him. After investigation, the death has been ruled as a tragic accident. The accident occurred in a bedroom of the grandparents’ house. Landon Greene was playing with his 5-year-old cousin when he attempted to climb a 5 1/2 foot tall dresser. Landon’s grandmother, Lavonne Greene, went into the room after her and her husband, Charles Greene, heard a loud noise come from the bedroom where the children were playing. Lavonne discovered Landon under the dresser which was full of clothing. The child was rushed to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital where he was pronounced dead approximately one hour later.

The child suffered a fatal head injury, which was caused by the dresser falling on top of him. To read more on this story please see 4-year-old boy dies after dresser falls on top of him.

Child fatalities caused by household items are more common then one would think. Children climb, jump, and run around large household furniture such as dressers, trunks and television sets. TVs have recently caused a significant amount of child fatalities. Parents and guardians should childproof their homes to the best of their ability and ensure that play areas are safe.